The village of Liscarroll is more than 900 years old. References to the village are closely tied to the Carroll family as the Irish for Liscarroll is “Lios Cearúill” – “Carroll’s ringfort”.
The village has a population of about 250 people, though the wider area outside the village has a population of about 850, including local farm and townlands areas.
The village is home to a new childcare facility and award winning National School, allowing strong support for new parents in the area. The village also has access to a variety of pubs, restaurants, shops, and local businesses.
It is also home to the Donkey Sanctuary, who has cared for more than 5,000 donkeys across Ireland over the last 35 years.
Liscarroll Castle is the third largest castle in Ireland.
|1091||Year attributed to the founding of Liscarroll village.|
|c.1250||Estimated date of construction of Liscarroll Castle.|
|c.1300||Earliest written references to “Listarwyll” – Carroll’s (ring)fort.|
|1642||The Battle of Liscarroll was fought between Irish and British forces.|
|1809||Earliest record of horse race meetings held in Liscarroll.|
|1850||Foundation stone of the first handball alley in the village was laid.|
|1868||William Murphy lofted a 12 lb sledge over the wall of Liscarroll Castle.|
|1869||The foundation stone for St Joseph’s Church Liscarroll was laid.|
|1882||The old National School, now the Community Centre, was built.|
|1885||Liscarroll GAA club was formed.|
|1890||Liscarroll Co-Operative Dairy Society officially opened its creamery.|
|1920||Castle occupied by the British during the Irish War of Independence.|
|1932||Former President and Taoiseach, Eamon De Valera unveiled monument to Daniel O’Brien.|
|1934||Liscarroll won the Cork County Junior Hurling Championship.|
|1936||Castle made a National Monument by the Office of Public Works.|
|1954||The first Point to Point races organised by the revived Liscarroll Race Committee were on Monday the 26th April 1954.|
|1971||St Joseph’s National School officially opened its doors replacing the old National School.|
|1979||Liscarroll Community Centre was officially opened by Gene Fitzgerald, Minister for Labour.|
|1987||The Donkey Sanctuary UK links up with Donkey Sanctuary Liscarroll.|
|1988||Handball alley rebuilt with new playing surface, dressing rooms and elevated viewing area. Fr Stephen O’Mahony laid first stone on 1st July 1987.|
|1992||International Cross Country athletics event took place in Knockardbane with entrants from across Europe and Africa.|
|1994||Liscarroll GAA field was officially opened.|
|1996||Battle of Liscarroll reenactment.|
|1997||“Living History” festival weekend brought thousands of visitors to Liscarroll.|
|2006||Liscarroll National School underwent a major refurbishment and extension and was officially opened by Micheal Martin, Minister for Trade and Employment.|
|2008||The children’s playground in the village green was completed and opened to the public.|
|2010||The new ASD Unit at Liscarroll National School was officially opened by Mary Hanafin, TD and Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport.|
|2013||Liscarroll Community Childcare facility. Teach na nOige, officially opened by President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins.|
Ard an Chaisleain officially opened.
|2018||President of Ireland, Michael D.Higgins attends annual Race Day on 25th March, 2018|
|2019||RTE’s Nationwide attends Liscarroll Races on 24th March, 2019|
- P2P.ie – Point to Point
- Placenames Database of Ireland
- Wikipedia – Battle of Liscarroll
- Wikipedia – Liscarroll
c D.O’Cainte, Liscarroll